Pump Up Your Oatmeal

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Howdy!


Happy hump day! I hope everyone's week is rocking along nicely! Yesterday was a busy one for me. I started out the day with a nice 4 mile run since little bit woke up extra early. After that, I headed to the studio to teach my 7 AM Pilates and 9 AM barre classes. After class, the tiny human and I did a little bit of grocery shopping so I could make dinner for one of my friends who also just had a baby. We spent most of the afternoon cooking, napping and playing. At around 5 o'clock, we got to head over and meet baby Mia and hang out with her mom, Lacey! It was so much fun getting to catch up. 

This morning, started out with a 6 AM barre class and I came home hungry hungry for breakfast! I am a huge oatmeal fan. I could probably eat it twice a day every day and not get sick of it. However, I know it is important to include a good amount of protein inevery meal, especially breakfast and plain oats can be lacking I that department. So I like to find creative ways to add more protein to my oatmeal. 


This morning, I tried mixing egg whites into my oatmeal. It may sound gross, but I promise it's not! You simply mix in one or two egg whites before you microwave your oatmeal. If you stir it up really well, you can't even taste the egg whites. They just make your oatmeal extra fluffy and add a great dose of protein. One egg white only has 17 cal and almost 4 g of protein.

My absolute favorite way to add protein and healthy fats to my oatmeal is by using nut butters. Let's face it, nut butters are my favorite thing to add to just about anything! Most of the time, I use 1 tablespoon of PB2 powder and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter. This keeps the calories and fat from getting out of control but still adds a good amount of protein and the peanut butter taste that I like.


Chia seeds and flaxseeds are another great way to add protein and fiber to your oatmeal. Chai seeds swell up when they are soaked in water so they really bulk up your oatmeal, help you hydrate, and make you feel like you get to eat a lot more for breakfast then you really are! 


Are you an oatmeal person? How do you like to add extra protein to your oatmeal? 

Now, for a little playtime with the tiny human before my next class! 


I hope you all have a great day!

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.