Almond Chia Power Balls and a Delicious Vega Surprise

Monday, March 11, 2013

Howdy Friends!

How is your Monday rolling along? I'm still enjoying a little break from work as we settle into Austin. I started off my morning with a barre class at barre3 followed by a PilatesBarre class at Todd Pilates. My booty is going to be sore tomorrow. Champ and I are going to head out for a walk in a bit to round out my workout. He's enjoying mom being at home more too! Lots of this has been happening.



I've also been enjoying being able to make homemade snacks instead of always having to rely on a pre-made protein shakes or granola bars when I'm away from the house for a long time.

As you all know, there have been green smoothies galore in my house lately. I tried a new protein powder the other day that I really enjoyed - Vega Energizing Smoothie Vanilla Almondilla.


I mixed it with two cutie oranges, spinach, a little bit of ice, and some almond milk. The smoothie packet plus the oranges a smoothie that tasted like a creamsicle and was bursting with nutrition. Check out these stats:

Not too shabby eh? The shake was absolutely amazing. I will definitely be buying this mix again and again! Have you tried any of the Vega products?

Orange Dreamsicle Green Smoothie

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 0
Keywords: blender breakfast snack gluten-free

Ingredients (1 serving)
  • 1 packet Vega Vanilla Almondilla
  • 2 clementine oranges
  • 1 large handful spinach
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 handful of ice
Instructions
Blend and Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


I used to make Chia Power Balls all the time for snacks, but I haven't made them in forever. I was walking down the bulk food aisle the other day when I stumbled upon majool dates. I knew then that I just had to remake my old favorite recipe. I changed a few things this time for what I had on hand.


Almond Chia Power Balls

by Lauren George
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 0
Keywords: raw snack gluten-free

Ingredients (12 balls)
  • 5 pitted majool dates
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 packet of stevia
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp flax seeds
  • 3 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
Instructions
Pour oats, cinnamon, and stevia into food processor and pulse until ground.
Add in flaxseeds and chia seeds and pulse for 15-30 seconds.
Next, add chopped and pitted majooled dates. Pulse for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until dates are finely ground. The mixture should start getting sticky.
Spoon in almond butter and almond milk and pulse until the mixture starts to stick together.
Roll into 1 inch thick power balls.
Powered by Recipage


The combination of the almond butter and cinnamon is absolutely amazing. They seriously taste like an extremely moist cookie. I'm having to control myself so I don't eat them all in one sitting! Maybe that is why I stopped making them? :)

Did you know it is national napping day? I promise I didn't just make it up! Read about it here. I think it is only right that I honor the holiday with a little nap now!

I hope you all have a great rest of your Monday!

Do you have a homemade snack you have trouble keeping your hands off when you have it in the house?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.