Abtastic Tuesday

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hi Everyone,

How was your Monday? I must admit I had a slow start to the week. I think I am still recovering from my Pilates filled weekend. I learned so much, and I can't wait to start practicing all of the new stuff that I learned. I have one weekend off and then I start working on my reformer certifications. I have 3 reformer certifications and 1 more apparatus certification to go! Yep, that's a lot but I'm getting there. Never seen a reformer? Check it out!

source

I can't wait to start working with clients and teaching group reformer classes! I'm beyond excited! :)

So in honor of Fab Ab February, I have some new fantastic ab exercises to share with you!

Teaser (source)
The teaser is an extremely effective Pilates inspired ab exercise that works your entire core including your rectus abdominus, transverse abdominus, and internal and external obliques.

To do it: Start by laying on the floor with your arms extended above your head and both legs lifted in the air at about a 45-degree angle. Inhale, roll your head and shoulders off the mat, press your ribs down toward your hip bones and exhale, lifting your entire upper body off the mat (keeping both legs up). At the top of the exercise, "land" your arms so that the arms and legs are parallel to one another. Then, breathe "naturally" while holding the top/up position for two slow counts. Reverse the action by inhaling and then rolling your back, shoulders and head down onto the mat exhaling at the start position. (source: Shapemagazine.com)

Reverse Curl & Lift (source)
This is one of my favorite abdominal exercises because you can feel it working your entire core! I love to place a sponge ball (see picture in exercise below) or towel in between my knees to work my inner thighs at the same time.

To do it: Lay flat on your back with both hands behind your head, legs extended out with your heels lifted about six inches off the floor, toes pointed. Contract your abs, bend and draw your knees into your chest, and raise your hips slightly off the floor. Slowly lower back to the start position. Repeat 8 times, for 3 sets total. (shapemagazine.com)

Roll UP (source)

Booty Barre creator Tracey mallet demonstrates this fantastic core move. The red ball adds a great balance challenge. If you are knew to the roll up, try doing the move with your knees bent and feet on the mate.

To do it: Start lying down with a small ball (a small pillow will also work if you don’t have a ball) under your heels, both arms extended over your head, palms facing towards each other. Inhale to prepare as you lift your head, neck, and shoulders off the floor and then exhale as you continue to roll up by drawing in your abdominals, reaching up and over towards the feet. Keep your abdominals contracted, with your spine rounded in a ‘C’ curve, and then inhale to prepare and exhale as you roll down through each vertebra in a controlled movement, keeping your heels pressed evenly into the ball the entire way up and down. Do 15 reps as controlled and precise as you can.

We all can use new moves from time to time right? I don't know about you, but I get sick of crunches pretty quickly.

I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!

How was your weekend?

Do you ever do Pilates?

In health,

share this on »
 photo facebook_zps8d483e9e.png
 photo twitter_zps1a2a45e0.png
 photo pinterest_zps549d2941.png
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply

I would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to leave a comment below.